Drawtivity - installation guide
Installation of the Drawtivity system
The Drawtivity authoring system is available for download, adaptation and installation under a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license. This means Drawtivity can installed and used, adapted and shared so long as the website footer is displayed with attribution details for the original developers and funders of the project.
Minimum server requirements:
To install your own Drawtivity system you need to have access to a web server which runs:
- PHP version 5 or greater (which includes the zip and mysqli extensions)
- MySQL version 4.1.2 or greater
- Download and unzip the latest Drawtivity package.
- Create a database for Drawtivity on your web server, as well as a MySQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying it.
- Open dy_includes/dy_config.php in a text editor (such as Notepad) and amend the configuration settings as explained in editing dy_config.php.
- Place the Drawtivity files in the desired location on your web server (e.g. using FTP).
- Change the permissions on the dy_uploads and dy_downloads folders on your webserver so they allow the upload of files by site users (e.g. by setting folder access permissions to 775).
- Run the Drawtivity installation script by accessing the site index.php in a web browser.
- Follow the instructions to create an admin user.
That's it! Drawtivity should now be installed.
If you encounter problems with your installation please contact us for assistance.
You should only edit the dy_config.php file using an appropriate text editor (e.g. Notepad) or coding software (e.g. Dreamweaver).
There are a set of six settings at the top of the dy_config.php file that you will need to amend before installing the Drawtivity site.
- // The name of the database
define('DB_NAME', 'name of your database');
- // MySQL database username
define('DB_USER', 'your database users username');
- // MySQL database password
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'your database users password');
- //a random string added to user passwords when encrypted in the database (replace this with your own long random string - use a random string generating service such as http://www.random.org/strings/)
define("SITE_SALT", 'a long random string of characters');
- //url of the site
define("SITE_URL", 'the url of the website including http://');
- //the FROM email address used by the system when sending automated emails
define("SITE_CONTACT_EMAIL", 'your email address');
Optional dy_config.php settings
The remaining settings in the dy_config.php file are optional and can be left with their default values:
- //format used for dates displayed on the site (google "PHP date" for more information)
define("DATE_FORMAT", 'jS M Y');
- //format used for date and times displayed on the site (again google "PHP date" for more information)
define("DATE_TIME_FORMAT", DATE_FORMAT.' g.ia');
- //long name for the site used as the alt text for the site header logo
define("SITE_NAME_LONG", 'Drawtivity - OER drawing activities for learning');
- //shorter name for the site used in the site content
- //location of uploaded activity files
- //upload limit in KB
- //number of activities displayed per page of search results
- //user id that is the site administrator - default = 1
- //limit registrations to email domains, separate email extensions with commas e.g. '@hotmail.com, @hotmail.co.uk, @gmail.com'
- //whether to display activities on the activity pages
- //HTML tags allowed in site error messages